Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thrifty Thursday: Menu Boards

(excuse the very poor hand writing, I have not been feeling well)

This week I created a Menu Chalkboard out of a glass frame. I went to Goodwill and found a frame (20X14) for only $4. I used chalkboard paint (see below) to paint on the glass. I couldn't find anything really about using this paint on glass but after a few coats it did come out pretty sweet! Hard to believe that it was clear glass under there.

I took out the glass and painted 3 coats outdoors. I waited 24 hours inbetween coats but overall it only took about 10 minutes to create the board.


I used Rust-Oleum Chalkboard spray paint for this board. This paint was easy to use and was less than $5 at Home Depot and I still have half a can left after 3 coats.
I personally didn't use a primer so I saved a bit of money there but because there isn't a primer I have to be careful not to scrape any of the paint off.

I also made a daily menu board:

This is great for non school days when the kids are home and they don't have to ask what's for lunch or what they can have for snack.

This is a plastic display stand (used for signage/displays in stores) that was only $.69 at Goodwill. The paper inside is scrapbooking paper that I can change out. The marker is dry erase, making it easy to wipe down everyday.
The idea for this menu was stemmed slightly by this post here:
http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2010/09/weekly-wipe-off-menu-board-magnets.html

No comments:

Post a Comment