Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Frugal Foodie: The Fruit Shortcake Parfait and Shortcake Bar with Reddi Wip

I've been thinking of recipes to use on Memorial Day and I thought about making a Strawberry Shortcake. I wanted to do a creative take on this traditional dessert and came up with the Fruit Shortcake Parfait. In this recipe is angel food cake, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, and Reddi Wip with a bit of sweet cream to soak the shortbread.

I layered the bottom with shortcake, then placed the sliced kiwi fruit on the sides. I then drizzled some of the cream (recipe below) on the shortbread and added fresh sliced pineapple and blueberries on top of that layer. I then took Reddi Wip cream and placed a layer of the Reddi Wip Whipped Cream on the fruit and shortbread. On the whipped cream, I placed another layer of shortbread and then took sliced strawberries and blueberries and put them on that layer. I drizzled the final layer with the sweet cream them topped with the whipped cream.



The cream to soak the shortbread is easy and just a few ingredients:

1 cup of plain yogurt or 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (whipped)
1 cup of orange juice
1 tablespoon of honey
a splash of vanilla extract


Mix these together and drizzle on the shortbread layers.

Obviously, this was a hit with my family:



After I made this I had a thought, why not to a Fruit Shortcake bar! You may have read about my Cupcake bar at Easter, I really like the idea of when entertaining, giving the guests a choice in what they want to have in their dessert. In a Shortcake bar, you can easily put out different fruits for your guests to try. If you aren't having guests over, this is still a great idea for kids. The Reddi Wip comes in handy in a Shortcake bar because guests both big and small can spray some on their Shortcake, making it easy and less messy!



Here I put out strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, red grapes, green grapes and sliced apples along with shortbread. Just place glasses out (if you have guests, you can use disposable to make it easier on you) along with the Reddi Wip and you have a dessert bar in minutes!

This recipe is easy to do and frugal, especially if you price match at Walmart. I was able to get 1lb strawberries for $.99, pineapples for $.50 a pound and apples for $.33 a lb!



See my recipe review and more about this recipe here:

This post has been spnsored as part of an insight study with #CollectiveBias. All opinions, recipes and photos/videos are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment