Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cupcake Tuesday: Pina Coloda Cupcakes



Pina Colada Cupcake Recipe

Oh how I dream of getting to go to the beach, just a mini vacation where I have no worries. Although I have never had a drink on the beach I imagine I would love to enjoy a Pina Colada. This weekend I attended craft meetup with some other lovely local ladies and decided to make Pina Colada cupcakes because it's probably the closest thing I am getting to a vacation right now, lol.


Ingredients:
You can use a basic white cake mix or this is what I used:
2 Cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of coconut rum (Malibu works great)
1/4 cup of pineapple juice (I used Dole Pina Colada juice)
1 tsp of baking soda
1.5 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of vanilla

Directions:
Cream butter, sugar and eggs.
In a food processor, sift flour and mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then add butter, sugar and egg mix. Lastly add the rum and vanilla, bake at 365 for 18 - 20 minutes.

Pina Colada ButterCream Frosting
3.5 cups of powdered sugar
1 cup of butter (unsalted at room temp, you have to use butter. No substitutes!)
4 tsp of coconut rum
1.5 tsp of vanilla

Directions:
Whip butter with mixer, then slowly add powdered sugar and then add rum & vanilla.

Frost and done! I bought the parasol umbrellas at Smart and Final for only $3.99 for 144 of them. I am pretty sure they will last forever, lol. I brought these to Mom Endeavors house for the Elmer's #CraftandTell party! You can see the fun here (enter her giveaway too): http://www.momendeavors.com/2011/06/elmers-craft-tell-party-recap-giveaway.html



What I would do different next time: I thought these were a little dry, but everyone else seemed to love them. I didn't add applesauce like I normally do so I would add that or sour cream because I think the alcohol dried them up a bit.


I am linked up at Cupcake Tuesday at Hoosier Homemade, check out her site for delicious cupcake recipes!

3 comments:

  1. These were seriously SO good! Thanks so much for bringing them to the party!! Can't wait to try to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful! I need that little vacation right now too and these cupcakes look like a mini vacation to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! What a perfect Summertime cupcake!
    Thanks so much for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete