We don’t really make it to the movies much, I’ll admit I would rather rent from Redbox. Although, we will occasionally catch a movie in the theater. I try to avoid going to the theater during non-matinee prices because honestly, the price of 2 tickets are more than the cost of the DVD when it comes out, and that doesn’t even include concessions. I have found a few cheap ways to see the movies when they come out.
- Matinee ~ Not all theaters offer a significant difference but you can save a few bucks by going during the day, usually by a certain time specified by the theater.
- Drive In ~ There aren’t many around anymore but there are still a few. This is probably the cheapest alternative we have found with 4 kids to see a new movie. Load up your car with chairs, blankets and food and find a good spot and you have yourself a great find for a new movie. In Phoenix you can sign up HERE for West Wind’s email program (Glendale and Scottsdale) and they will email you a coupon for $1.00 Nachos. Soon after I signed up I got a coupon for 1 cent popcorn in the mail. The cost is $6.50 for adults and only $1.00 for kids (5 and under are FREE).
- Dollar Theater ~ like the Drive in, there aren’t many around but some still exist. We go to Silver Saver Cinemas in North Phoenix where the price is only a couple dollars. You do have to wait for the movie to be at least a month or two old but you can still get the big screen experience before it comes out on video.
- Check out your theater’s websites for possible current offers. AMC offers deals on their Facebook page here: AMC Facebook Page
- Coupons, In Phoenix there aren’t too many but you can get some in the Entertainment Book
- Sneaky candy ~ When we do go to a theater, we usually go to the dollar store beforehand and pick up a few boxes of dollar candy to bring in.
Have a tip on how to save money at the movies? Please share!