Friday, May 13, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

I wanted to share my thoughts on Bountiful Baskets http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/.

Here is what I got in my last basket:

DSC05662

DSC05663

DSC05661

I got the regular pack, the herb add on and I split the “mexican” pack with my mom. The kids ate the blackberries and 3 of the oranges I got as well before I could take the pic.

What is it? Here is the info from the site:

This is a Co-op

This is a grass roots, all volunteer, no contracts, no catch co-operative available in AZ & Utah. Bountiful Baskets is a non-profit food co-op for families that want to have more fresh produce for less money. In order to participate, you must set up a free account on the website.

Reasons to Participate

  • This is a great deal and you are helping others get a great deal, too. With the conventional produce offering, you get approximately $50 worth of grocery store-quality produce.
  • This co-op encourages a healthier lifestyle.

The contribution is $15.00 per basket. The organic upgrade is $10.00 for a total of $25.00. The amount for add-ons varies depending on the item. The first time basket fee is $3.00, and the processing fee is $1.50, which must be paid every time you contribute. Your entire contribution is spent on food, so the $1.50 is necessary to cover card processing, servers, and other expenses.

Learn more here: http://www1.bountifulbaskets.org/?page_id=233

It happens every other week at a locations around the valley. Some areas have it where you can get it each week as well, right now I have done every other week.

My thoughts, I like getting a lot of fresh produce for $15. I also like that they have add ons such as bread and upgrades to organics. In the past I got a Hawaiian add on with vanilla beans, pineapple, mangos and more. This time I got fresh herbs including oregano, basil, chives, mint and more. These add ons are usually only around $10! I don’t like the fact that there never seems to be a lot of fruit but that could be because my kids love fruit. So I will probably still price match my fruit at Walmart. I also am not too fond of the fact that you never know what you will get, if you are an adventurous foodie then this is great.

I will continue to do this at least twice a month, I just love fresh produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment