Friday, May 13, 2011

Frugal Foodie: Stuffed Bell Peppers


Bountiful Basket Recipe ~ Easy, fresh and frugal!

DSC05684

Tonight I made Stuffed Peppers for dinner. I used Bell Peppers and ingredients I had gotten from my most recent Bountiful Basket (fresh oregano, basil, garlic and onion). I wasn’t sure how the kids were going to react but they loved them so much they asked for seconds! The corn was also from my Bountiful Basket but it was my first time making it in my electric pressure cooker. It came out so moist and didn’t take long to cook at all!

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Heat oven to 375, use a large glass dish for cooking the peppers.

Ingredients:

  • 8 Medium Sized Bell Peppers (cut in halves and core the seeds, some like to cut off the tops and leave the pepper “whole”)
  • 1 lb of Ground Turkey
  • 2 cups of cooked brown rice
  • 1 can of tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (or 1 tablespoon of granulated onion if you don’t like a lot of onion taste)
  • 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt or garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon of Chef’s Essence spices (paprika, cayenne pepper)
  • Herbs ~ I used fresh oregano and basil and minced them in my spice grinder
  • 1 cup of shredded cheese
  1. Brown turkey in pan. Add spices , onions and herbs while browning.
  2. In a large bowl, pour tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and rice.
  3. Add turkey to the mixture and stir together.
  4. In the large dish, place peppers next to each other. Fill the peppers with the mixture and cook for 20 minutes.
  5. Take out of the oven, then top with cheese (we love cheddar). Place back in the oven for about 5 more minutes.
  6. Take out, cool and serve!

This recipe cost less than $5 to make (including the turkey). Read my thoughts on Bountiful Baskets here: http://www.supersavingsense.com/2011/05/bountiful-baskets.html

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment