Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Easy DIY Camera-Purse-Tote


My ideal tote, found at Marshall's.



If you can sew a pillow, you can turn your favorite purse into a camera tote. I'm attending Blogher next week and I wanted to have a tote where I could fit:

  • DSLR
  • Flip Cam
  • Extra Lens
  • Business Cards
  • Phone
  • Notebook/Pens
  • Netbook
It's hard to stuff all of that in a computer bag, even harder to stuff it in a purse. I love JoTotes and Epiphany bags but there is no way this cheap mama could fork out that kind of cash. So I set out to make my own camera-purse-tote. First you should know, I am not very good at tutorials. My first thought was I can't wait to share a how to post and show everyone how to do this. It turned out I am not good with sewing and measurements either so I am going to just share how I did it!

Supplies:
  • Your ideal bag (make sure it's big enough for what you want to hold and it's comfortable while on and full of items)
  • 1-2 yards of favorite fabric (the fabric above is from Hobby Lobby)
  • Sewing Machine
  • Foam ( I used Airtex 1 inch foam from Joann's http://bit.ly/qtZwpC)
  • Hot Glue (hey, don't judge! I like things easy)
  • Measuring Tape
  • Velcro

Here is my easy peasy not so detailed tutorial:
  • Take the measuring tape and measure out the inside of the bag where your foam inserts will be.
  • Cut foam according to your measurements.
  • Take the fabric and fold it over the foam, leaving 1/2 inch for slack to sew.
  • Cut fabric to desired size.
  • Flip inside out and sew like a pillow case (3 sides)
  • The foam should fit snug in the cases, then you have two options.
  • You can hand sew it shut or do the "Cheater" method of using a hot glue gun.
  • I just folded the remaining end like a present and carefully hot glued the ends.

  • Repeat this for all the inserts you desire.
  • Then take no-sew velcro and measure how two strips by width of your two largest foam pieces.

  • Then take your "inside" inserts and place velcro lengthwise. This makes it easy to reposition just remember if you hot glue them instead of sewing them, they are vulnerable to come off.
  • Done! It's really simple, and you can do this with any bag in less than 2 hours.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! So glad to see the full tutorial! I am SO hoping to pull something like this off before BlogHer! :) Thanks for a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete