Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Frugal Foodie: Easy Peasy Chicken Pot Pie



I have a hard time convincing my family that "leftovers" are a good idea. Last week I made a chicken Alfredo pasta and had leftover chicken I hadn't used. Instead of having leftover pasta, I just had leftover chicken and decided to do something else with it; chicken pot pie!

I'm not going to lie, I used a premade frozen puff pastry crust (since these can get pricey, next time I'll probably use go with a reg. pie crust).

Here are the ingredients:
1 can of peas
2 carrots sliced
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup of margarine
2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of milk or half and half
2 garlic cloves minced
1 /4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of chopped onions or 1 tablespoon of granulated/dried onion
fresh basil optional
leftover chicken or 3 cups of chopped/shredded chicken (cooked)
1 pie crust or puff pastry (thawed)

Directions:
  • Place butter, carrots and onion in pan over medium-high heat, saute for about 7 minutes.
  • Add peas
  • Slowly add flour mixture to coat the vegetables, stir on medium heat for 1 minute
  • Add chicken broth and half/half or milk and create a rolling boil on medium heat until thickened.
  • Once thick, add chicken and spices desired.
  • Slowly add to a casserole dish ( I like to use a large pie pan ).
  • Cover with the pie or puff pastry.
  • Cook for 25 minutes on 400 degrees.

Enjoy!

I linked up at:
linkup

No comments:

Post a Comment