Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cupcake Tuesday: Camouflage Cupcake w/ Cupcake Bar



Today's Cupcake Tuesday isn't really a recipe, more of a sharing of a technique and a peek at our Cupcake Bar for Tyler's Birthday! This year I decided I wouldn't stress about making cupcakes, I figure at this age anyways kids would love to make their own cupcakes. I went to ABC Cake store in Phoenix and got different toppers, everything related to being a boy. Darth Vader, Storm Troopers, Light Sabers, Race Cars etc. Then I set out to get different types of toppings for the cupcakes. I also bought 2 tubs of frosting.

For the cupcakes, I made Camouflage cupcakes.
Ingredients:

I used my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe.
2 cups of flour (sifted)
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 individual unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp of salt
1.5 tsp of homemade Vanilla

I divided it into thirds. I mixed a few drops of green food coloring in one bowl, brown in another and in the last one I kept it plain. I then put the colored batters into ziploc bags, cutting a corner on each back. I layered the bottom of each cupcake liner with the original vanilla flavor. I then took one color and "squirted" it to one side of inside the bottom layer. Then I took the second color and squirted it into the other side. I tried to get a camouflage look going but some of them ended up layering so I took a knife and did a little swirl in those.

The cupcake bar:


We had around 15 toppings and I assembled them on an upcycled Lazy Susan I found at the Goodwill Clearance center (see below). I used little plastic cups to hold the toppings and printed out labels with Lego Font. I found the Lego font here: http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Legothick.htm

Upcycled Lazy Susan:



When I found this, it didn't look like it stood a chance to be reused again. Luckily, I had something in mind for this! I took my lovely X-ACTO knife and a 12X12 piece of Camouflage paper. I placed the paper inside the top of the Lazy Susan and gently pressed it in making a circle pattern. I then cut the circle out on my self healing mat. Once it was cut, I Mod Podged it on the Lazy Susan, then covering it with Mod Podge. I let it dry a day or so before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment