Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tuesday Tip: Freezing Fresh Herbs



This Spring, I made it my mission to start an herb garden. It's actually done very well! My Basil, chives, rosemary and oregano are all doing great! The only one I had issues with was my Thyme.

When the garden started to grow, I needed a way to preserve them without having them wilt away.

I did some research and found the easiest way to do it is by freezing the herbs in an ice cube tray with water.


Here is how to do it:
  1. Clip herbs
  2. Cut/Chop to desired consistency
  3. Place in ice cube tray
  4. Fill with water
  5. Freeze and then use as needed when cooking
  6. Store in a ziploc bag in the freezer
I love to throw these in my meat dishes while cooking as well as my spaghetti sauce.

Another way is to puree them in a food processor and fill them in the tray with olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment