Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thrifty Thursday: Easy DIY Old Suitcase Upcycle Project





How to upcycle an old suitcase into a photo table/display with simple supplies like spray paint, glue gun and fabric.



Get out your hot glue guns! I'm going to show you how I was able to turn an old hard Samsonite suitcase into decor for my bedroom; a photo table.

I found a few old suitcases at the GoodWill Clearance center, I was very excited because I have been wanting to do some decor with them. Thrift stores are a great place to find them, I have also had success finding them at yard sales.

Basic Supplies:


Old Suitcase (you can see I ripped out the inside fabric)
1-2 years of Fabric (depends on size)
X-Acto knife
Hot glue gun
Dryer Sheets (this is going to help with a musty smells, put a couple sheets behind your fabric before gluing it in)
Spray Paint ~ I used Krylon Brushed Metallic, you can see my thoughts on it below)
*Ignore that lace in there, I thought I was going to put it on there but I decided not to.


I took the suitcase outside and spray painted it.

I used this
Brushed Metallic

I'll be honest, I didn't care for this paint because it seemed to not coat it well. Now, it could have been the type of plastic I spray painted but it seemed to not spray right to begin with.


After letting it dry, I took and stripped out the inside fabric. I then took my fabric and measured out how much I would need to cut off by placing it inside the suitcase.

After cutting the correct amount, I took the hot glue gun and put glue inside and then quickly placed the fabric on the glue, carefully gluing the sides as well. Let it dry. DONE!



I actually painted another suitcase too, put it below this one to use as storage of sheets and pillow cases. I then put this one on top, opened it up and put pictures of my grandparents/great grandparents in there to display. I am working on putting more photos in there too :) Oh and of course there is a picture of baby "me" with my parents.

Of course it's also fun to use suitcases just as they are as storage:

I found this "hat" case for a buck at a yard sale, I use it to hold all my fabric remnants.

These I found also at the Goodwill Clearance center and use them for storage under my antique vanity:


Where I like to linky linky:



http://athriftymom.com

get your craft on button
http://todayscreativeblog.net/get-your-craft-on-10/

No comments:

Post a Comment